Monday, November 13, 2006

Three magicians, a king , and a queen

I admit there's nothing really going on in my life to merit the above title. I didn't discover that I have a royal genealogy line or find that I have a new talent for disappearing. I've just been watching a lot of movies lately. (Which for those who know me well, that isn't that surprising.) But, I've actually being going to the theater to watch movies with friends instead of plugging them in my DVD player at home. So for those of you that guessed that I saw The Illusionist, The Prestige, Marie Antoinette, and The Last King of Scotland, you get a gold star.
What else have been up to since I last blogged? I bought a new pair of Converse shoes. Not the brown ones that seem to be in fashion this season. The store had chocolate brown ones, but of course, not in my size. So what do I do? I buy a pair of olive green ones to squelch my desire for a new pair of Cons. And, strangely, I wondered if I had become as bad as those people who have to have the latest pair of Nikes.
Granted, Converse shoes are a little cheaper than Nikes. But, although I was happy with my purchase (they actually have an arch support and a tread), I thought it was ironic that lately, I have been thinking about how to simplify my life and focus more on my relationships with God and people rather than material possessions. But, yet, I buy a new pair of Cons. I know that my life should be about God rather than the color of Converse shoes that I'm wearing. And, in the long-run, my relationships with Him and other people will last longer than any pair of shoes. But, stuff like Converse shoes is still tempting, and I guess my new olive green pair can remind me that I'm not immune to the tantalizing lure of materialism.

No comments: