Besides avoiding my third bouquet toss of the year, I also missed the first annual running of the Elvises. http://http://www.runelvisrun.com/ Guess I'll have to wait another year to sing and shake like the King of Rock and Roll. Actually, I wonder which would would have bigger odds - me catching a bouquet or me running like Elvis.
Another thing I'll be missing today is the sequel to High School Musical. I'm not sure if I'll catch it later on DVD. The first one was peppy and fun. And, with Kenny Ortega at the helm again, who knows? I might find it enjoyable if I'm looking for a dollop of fluffy entertainment. I'm curious how long the phenomenon is going to last, though. (And how long I'll see High School Musical folders, jewelry, and t-shirts in stores.)
But, I did catch The Bourne Ultimatum when it opened in theaters. Seeing Matt Damon run throughout the movie was thrill. Although the Jason Bourne movies are entirely different than Robert Ludlam's books, I found the final installment well worth the admission of a movie ticket. I also saw Hairspray, too. It was a hoot to watch, and it had me walking out of the theater with its music stuck in my head.
So maybe I haven't missed out after all? It's amazing how our culture can guilt us into making us feel excluded. There's always the hit movie, TV show, etc. that become the topic of conversation. And, you almost feel compelled to buy into all just so you can join in the discussion. But, maybe feeling connected is the root desire behind it all. People are looking for an access point to converse easily with people they may or may not know very well. It gives them a temporary bond of community seeing the funniest Super Bowl commercial or the latest blockbuster.
Why does community, though, have to fueled by the consumption of stuff? Why can't it just naturally occur? I just tell you what's going on in my life and you tell me what's going on in yours. Hmmm...maybe that's a question for Dr. Phil to answer.
No comments:
Post a Comment