Saturday, October 27, 2007

Pondering atonement

I finished Ian McEwan's book (possible spoilers ahead), and I have to say it's brilliant. I mean it took me a while (2 readings) to get through the first part. Of course, perhaps I had the wrong motive for reading it. Atonement was made into a movie starring Keira Knightly and James McAvoy that's getting released in December.
So I guess when I started reading the book, I kind of assumed the plot would quickly develop like a movie. You know, the typical boy meets girl, boy loses girl, and boy gets girl back variety that's so popular in Jane Austen's novels and musical productions. Since I was reading a book, I didn't feel like singing and dancing a jig. Once I figured out that the book took place on a hot, summer, lazy day and the writer's style of revealing plot and characters was similar, though, I was more apt to kind of sit back and just see where Mr. McEwan was taking me. And, the conclusion of his book really resonated with me.
It's all about beliefs, assumptions, and seeing things. Briony had beliefs and assumptions about her sister, Cecilia and Robbie, a childhood friend. So when it was dark and Briony saw something terrible in the woods, she filtered what she saw through her beliefs and assumptions rather than what actually occurred. Kind of what I did when I first started reading Atonement. I assumed that the book would be like a TV dinner in that it would quickly give me something to eat. Instead, it was rather like a feast that came in many courses and offered ample time to savor each entree.
And, I am finding that beliefs and assumptions affect how I see other things as well. For example, I watched half of an episode of Freaks and Geeks when it was on the air. The Geeks (Sam, Bill, and Neal) were getting ready to go party with the poplar kids. I assumed that their venture would end up in humilation because I believed that's what their peers would do to them so I turned it off. If kept watching, though, I would have seen a little embarrassment of Neal having to kiss Bill when they played spin the bottle. But, I also would have seen Bill's triumph of being kissed by the prettiest girl at school.
Isn't that what life is? A little embarrassment mixed in with triumphant moments? But, then there's also the things that we see and as we filter them through our beliefs and assumptions, sometimes the result is something we regret. Something that we wish we could atone for but cannot change.
What's the solution? Because as I'm writing this, I am realizing that I have beliefs and assumptions about everything: Converse shoes, chocolate, and Jane Austen's novels. I am not sure if there's a solution, but I do believe that what I think and believe affects my emotions and actions. So I suppose I should try to identify what those are and my motives for having them before acting upon them.
I guess this post is a bit darker than my usual fare. I feel like I should add a smiley face or something to lighten up its tone. But, sweet and sour is what I am. I usually try to repress the sour parts and be only sweet, but somehow, the sourness in me still shines through. And, I have no idea how to end this post. Maybe it could be like the song that never ends.
Or, I could talk about what else I've been doing with my time. Hmmm. I think I have spotted my illusive unicorn in the Converse world (chocolate brown and off white Chuck Taylors). I am still waiting for them to be shipped to me so I'll have to get back to you whether or not the legend is real.
I stopped watching Chuck. Although I am glad Chuck and I share a similar taste in shoes, I found Moonlight and Samantha Who more interesting. Hey, maybe Samantha and Mick St. John can wear Cons, too, as they are finding their identity and saving the world.

No comments: