Masterpiece Theater on PBS has gotten me reading Ms. Austen's novels. I hate to admit it, but Pride and Prejudice was the only one I had read previously. Now, I can change that number to two and a half (Persuasion and part of Northanger Abbey).
Besides increasing my exposure to her written word, I've developed more of an appreciation for Austen's Persuasion. I saw a 1995 movie version in college, and I could not abide the fact that Captain Wentworth would pay attention to Louisa Musgrove if his affections for Anne Elliot were true. Yes, eight years had passed since he rejected her proposal, but wouldn't the fact that she still remained single still give him hope?
But, then again, maybe is was the slow and subtle pace of the movie that didn't fall to my liking. I think my first impressions of Persuasion were influenced by Disney notions of love and romance. Last year's Enchanted was the perfect example of these ideas. Giselle imagines her Mr. Right and constructed a model of him out of common household items. Prince Edward (of course being the human form of her model) appears and saves her from the ogre attacking Giselle's house. Then, poof, she's in love. Better watch out, there may be another princesszilla (http://www.newsweek.com/id/70985) on the loose.
I recently turned 30 and maybe I can relate to Anne Elliot more since I'm still single myself. But, watching the 2007 version of Persuasion on Masterpiece Theater, I found myself feeling like I had become accquainted with a new friend - one that I had seen before, but never really taken the time to meet. When I read the book, I found that Austen's ideas of love and romance were more subtle than a 2 hour Disney movie. But, the quiet nature of Captain Wentworth's and Anne Elliot's relationship seemed more realistic. I could see Austen's plot occurring today.
One of my friends is convinced that her life is like a Jane Austen novel. I'm not sure if I feel the same. Maybe I'll have an opinion on the subject after another 30 years.
No comments:
Post a Comment