So I watched Penelope the other night, and it really wasn't that bad of a movie. I mean, it was quirky, but I enjoyed it. And, it got me thinking why live-action movies like Penelope and Mr. Magorium's Wonder Emporium with G or PG ratings get slammed by the critics. I mean, they reminded me of that very cheesey TV version of "Babes and Toyland" with Drew Barrymore and Kenau Reeves. Kind of whimsical and nostologic of childhood. Not exactly Oscar material, but fun movies to watch.
Isn't that what movies are? A place to escape and believe the impossible? Maybe if they had song and dance numbers or animation they be better received by the critics. The Pixar and High School Musical empires tend to go over well. But, why not something like Kitt Kittridge?
Has our culture become so cynical and misguided that we can only tolerate violence and sex? One of my favorite movies is the Frank Capra movie, You Can't Take It With You. In 1939, it won the Oscar for Best Picture. I shudder to think if it would even be nominated if it was released now.
No comments:
Post a Comment