This week I've been fascinated M. Night Shyamalan's movie, The Village. For those of you who haven't seen the movie, this posting may spoil the plot.
Watching the movie again, there were several things that I noticed.
1. M. Night Shyamalan's cameo. Oddly enough, I recognized his voice before seeing his reflection in the medicine cabinet.
2. Noah's mischief to try to keep Ivy and Lucius apart. Obviously, I saw the stabbing the first time I watched it. But, I'm wondering if Noah saw Lucius find the red plant and then skinned the dead animals to get Lucius in trouble and away from Ivy.
3. William Hurt's character, Edward Walker. Since I knew why the village was created, his simple statement to the elders about the preservation of innocence became more poignant. And, for the first time, I saw the irony of how Edward Walker was trying to protect Ivy from seeing a loved one harmed by violence and how it still came about, despite his actions.
Perhaps I'm late in seeing these things. A more logical movie-watcher might have seen the three things above right off the bat. When I watch movies, I become so absorbed in the plots, the characters, and the movie soundtracks (which this one was creepy as hell) that I don't analyze or question what's going on. This time, though, it was different.
And, it's made me wonder. How often do I live my life at face value without analyzing or questioning what I'm doing? Like movies, I become absorbed in my life (going to work, getting groceries, doing laundry) that I wonder if I miss seeing things in my life from a deeper level. Of course, the things that I saw in The Village partly came from previously knowledge of seeing the movie before. It's kind of different with my life because I don't know exactly what plots, characters, and hopefully, soundtracks it will contain before it ends. I also can't press rewind, fast-forward, or pause either.
So I guess I'm in the same boat as Ivy. I'm just running blindly down the road and trusting my Father that the road will lead me where I need to go even though I can't see it.
No comments:
Post a Comment