On Christmas Eve, it was too snowy to venture out to the church down the road (at least by foot). But, I found myself missing the tradition of attending church, listening to special music, and seeing the children go up to the stage for their special message. Then I remembered the last time I spend Christmas Eve away from family. I attended Woodland Hills Church and listened a message that stuck with me, "The Great and Holy Smallness of God." Thankfully, to modern technology, I was able to listen to it again since Woodland Hills keeps recorded audio files on its website.
The message started with the children being told the story of the lost sheep, and then the pastor, Greg Boyd, related it to Jesus' birth. The small part comes from the idea that we associate bigness with importance. So naturally, when the Prince of Peace was born, we were expecting a a big parade or fanfare. But, God thinks differently. Just shepherd ventures off from the 99 sheep to find the one, or as I like to call it - leave no sheep behind, Jesus came to bring all of us to the fold.
After hearing the sermon again, I decided to try to find God in the small. And, it was there if I chose to look for it. The bus driver saying, "Good morning." A phone call from a friend, and a gift of a movie that I would otherwise think to watch, but needed to see. And, that's just the past 48 hours. I'm intrigued to find where else God will pop up if I keep looking for him.
No comments:
Post a Comment