Tuesday, June 3, 2008

Thing Two

Sitting here, I am not sure how to describe this in words. I am trying to complete these 23 Things and learn more about the Web 2.0 tools. This is partly fueled by curiosity, but also by the need to stay current with my librarian peers.

Individually, I've kind of have been reluctant to embrace new technology. Not necessarily computers because I've dealt with them since the 5th grade. Even though their form (Commodores with green screens) is rather ancient. No, I'm talking about all the other tools and gadets. I just bought a digital camera in the last year, and that's only because I thought I'd be traveling to Europe. So I'm still figuring out how to use it. I downloaded a picture of my Converse shoes and made it my avatar. But, I've yet to do the MP3 player or Ipod. I have a cell phone, but it's about 3 years old so it just takes pictures besides giving me the opportunity to reach out and touch someone.

I guess my main question in this post centers around what John Blyberg briefly mentioned under "L2 requires a fundamental change in a library’s mission." And, that's the question of how savvy a library's customers will be in terms of technology. I mean, I see the Web 2.0 being a hot topic in library circles. And, I'm not against this because today's 5th graders have a lot more high-tech computers and other gadgets than I did when I was their age.

But, I am wondering if Web 2.0 tools will be embraced by all library patrons. Will the older ones be as apt to use Facebook and Flicker as the young ones? Perhaps age will not be a factor in regards to a library's mission. I am curious, though, how the baby boomer generation will embrace Web 2.0 technology. A lot of them are approaching retirement. And, I wonder if their library service needs will be the same as today's youth. Or, will they be different?

No comments: