Thursday, March 19, 2009

where I've been

I actually tried to post something a few nights ago. I had an entry written up, and then the computer timed out so my post was, of course, lost down the vacuum of cyberspace. That's okay because I really didn't think it was interesting entry. I just talked about being without a computer for 3 weeks until I got it fixed.
Surprisingly, in my computer drought, I did okay except I had to go out and buy a portable DVD player right away. Although it's true that I can't go 3 weeks without watching a movie, fate would have it that I'd get a whole stack of movies that I requested from the library the same time that computer crashed. And, since I don't own a TV, my computer was my main apperatus for movies.
I corrected that by purchasing a DVD player with a 10 inch screen. It's one that families purchase to keep their kids quiet on long road trips Besides a electrical plug, it also had one that fit into the cigarette liter of a car. So it kept me happily situated in movie land while I waited it out until the rain came and my computer was restored to it's whirring, normal state.
It's sad because I watched movies and I really can't remember all of them that I saw. But, I did want to mention one that I saw tonight that awoke me from my movieland slumber. It was In the Name of the King A Dungeon Siege Tale. Although it did entertain me, there was one character that particularly disturbed me. It was Ray Liotta's character, Gallian, that got under my skin and stirred something that has pissed me off in a few movies that I've seen. Shooter was one of them. Both had an evil guy who takes advantage of women to hurt other men that were their enemy. I hate seeing women abused and dominated by men on screen. Granted, the In the Name of the King did have Leelee Sobieski playing an Eowyn-like character. She was a noble woman who drew a sword to fight.
I have no sword, and I realize this post raises issues related to gender roles that I am not ready to tackle, yet. But, hopefully, posting this entry will at least help me sleep a little better even if I am just skirmishing with enemy.

No comments: